Live Web Handling Fundamentals Workshop
Web Handling Fundamentals Event Registration October 2022
Web handling is a process engineering discipline focusing on improving productivity and reducing waste of product made from papers, films, foils, nonwovens, textiles, or any thin, continuous material.
Many manufacturing trends create new challenges for web handling and winding, including thinner or more delicate products, faster or more integrated processes, and ultra-clean or hazardous environments – all increasing the potential for web handling defects. Learning to handle these materials, processes, and environmental challenges will provide your company with a competitive advantage.
This three-day workshop will combine classroom seminars and lab demonstrations to cover key concepts to optimize your equipment and process designs; practical steps to eliminate waste from breaks, deformation, scratches, alignment errors, wrinkles, and roll defects; and lab demonstrations to see web handling principles in action.
Unlike any other option in web handling education, the Optimation MCF series of web handling ‘workshops’ are one-of-a-kind training that combines classroom seminars with on-machine demonstrations.
Notebook copies of training slides will be provided to attendees at the class. Snacks and lunch will also be provided each day. After completion of the class, a spreadsheet summarizing data collected during on-machine demonstrations will also be provided to attendees.
Who Will Benefit from this Workshop?
This workshop is directed towards the technical employees of any level with a need to understand the fundamentals of web handling. The only prerequisite is an aptitude for technology with an interest in the connection between theory and practice.
Web Handling Workshop Outline
The three-day workshop will aim for a 50-50 split between seminar and lab demonstration time.
Seminar presentations will include:
|Web Mechanics and Tensioning
Rollers and Traction
|Tracking, Wrinkling and Spreading
Lab demonstrations will include:
|Lab #1 – Web Mechanics and Tensioning
– Review of the tension control strategy on the Thin Web Rewinder (TWR)
– Measurement of web tensile properties
– Measurement of coefficient of friction
– Measurement of web camber
Lab #2 – Rollers and Traction
– Wiki stick for roller tramming and precision level for roller leveling
– Pi tape for total alignment and roll diameter measurement
– Micrometer for roller diameter measurement
– Dial indicator for roller run out
– Traction measurement using a hand-held Prony Brake on the TWR
– Traction measurement using the automated Prony Brake on the TWR
– Roller inertia and bearing drag
Lab #3 – Nipped Systems, Laminating
– Nip footprint and pressure measurement
– Strain matching and curl
Lab #4 – Wrinkling, Spreading, Guiding
– Perpendicular entry rule
– Web guiding demonstration
– Shear wrinkles due to misalignment on the TWR
– Spreader and anti-wrinkle comparison on the TWR
Lab #5 – Winding
– Wide web winding
– Low and high-speed winding
– Various methods of characterizing roll hardness
– Winding model predictions
The workshop will be presented by Dr. Kevin A. Cole of Optimation Technology, Inc.
- Dr. Cole, a Senior Web Handling Development Engineer with Optimation Technology Incorporated, has a PhD in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Rochester. Kevin developed his expertise in web handling over his 20+ years working for Eastman Kodak Company and led their internal training program on winding and conveyance process fundamentals. He was also an active participant in the OSU WHRC, including chairing their Industrial Advisory Board for four years. Kevin has a rare combination of excellent problem solving and modeling skills, allowing him to comfortably move between production and developmental work.
About the Workshop Facility
The Optimation Media Conveyance Facility (MCF) is a 5000-sq. ft. space featuring experimental, analytical, and limited production web handling capabilities for narrow and wide applications. The MCF, acquired in 2008 by OTI, has a 35-year history serving as an internal resource for Eastman Kodak Company, but is now available for commercial use, including serving as host for this workshop.
Registration Fees Early Registration Discount (4 weeks advance)
First registration: $1885 $1735
Second registration: $1795 $1645
Third registration: $1710 $1560